Thursday, March 28, 2019

Cinema Spotlight: Dash running from the Machines in The Incredibles

Just a quick little one today from one of my very favorite movies, The Incredibles. The moment is when Dash and Violet are being chased by the guys riding saw blade looking flying aircraft. Dash and Violet have been told their whole lives to hide their powers, to appear outwardly normal, not draw attention to themselves. This sequence is the first time they’ve really truly embraced their powers and are flexing those muscles for the first time. They’ve messed around at home, had little spurts of using their powers, but this is the first time really letting them loose.

The specific moment that has always struck me is when Dash is being chased by multiple flying machines through the jungle, but winces when he sees he’s about to hit water. He knows it’s over for him. Until that’s not what happens. Dash is running so fast that he can actually run on water. He lets out this devious, almost guttural, little laugh that kills me every time. It’s at once an “oh my god this is awesome” and “I didn’t know I could do this” and “this is crazy” and “holy shit I’m way more powerful than I even realized I was.” It’s such a perfect moment of filmmaking and voice acting that I almost tear up when I see it.

There are many great moments in The Incredibles, and I’m sure I’ll write about the others some day as well. This moment isn’t a big one, but I’ve not heard anyone else being touched by this quite like I was. So here it is, another great moment in cinema for me to spotlight

No comments: