Monday, April 27, 2009

At long last, my 2008 top ten

I guess this Friday, with the release of the Wolverine movie, the summer movie season is officially upon us. So now that I've caught up with most of the movies I planned on seeing from last year (there are still some stragglers, but that's not a big deal), I guess I'll finally post my top ten list from last year. I won't re-post what I wrote before, I'll just do the movie titles, directors in parentheses:

1. Wall-E (Andrew Stanton)
2. The Dark Knight (Christopher Nolan)
3. In Bruges (Martin McDonagh)
4. Iron Man (Jon Favreau)
5. Encounters at the End of the World (Werner Herzog)
6. Doubt (John Patrick Shanley)
7. Forgetting Sarah Marshall (Nicholas Stoller)
8. Vicky Christina Barcelona (Woody Allen)
9. Milk (Gus Van Sant)
10. Synechdoche, New York (Charlie Kaufman)

With honorable mentions for Clint Eastwood's Gran Torino, David Gordon Green's Snow Angels, and Best Picture winner Slumdog Millionaire.

3 comments:

Stinkyface said...

Nice to see you left off that overrated piece of junk movie frost nixon...

Kyle said...

Well, I liked Frost/Nixon, but not enough to put one the list, no.

Kathy said...

I really loved Gran Tarino, and would probably include it in my top ten list. Can't go wrong with Clint. Penn was great in Milk, and very believable.