Friday, April 17, 2009

Ingrid Bergman-one of the great actresses, also, a babe

I recently re-watched Hitchcock's Spellbound, and although one of its stars is the great Gregory Peck, I absolutely couldn't take my eyes off of the female lead, Ingrid Bergman. She has long been one of my favorite actresses, and I've also always thought she was incredibly gorgeous. She's not as impossibly beautiful as Audrey Hepburn nor as otherworldly sexy as Salma Hayek, but she simply commands the screen in a way that I can't really explain. There are few actresses that have ever really had that kind of magnetism. Meryl Streep has it, most certainly Bergman's fellow Scandinavian Liv Ullmann had it, but the list probably doesn't go much further past that. In a wide variety of performances ranging from her tremendous work in Casablanca, to Anastasia, Gaslight, and Hitchcock's Notorious (probably my favorite performance from her), she was nothing less than brilliant. But it doesn't hurt that she was easy on the eyes too.

No comments: